Lucina Birth Centre
The Lucina Birth Centre (LBC) offers a supportive, inclusive, and comfortable birthing environment. We are a small, private medical facility with two birthing suites, welcoming all cultural practices and ceremony in our space.
The birth centre is intended for people with low-risk pregnancies under midwifery care in Alberta. We minimize the level of obstetrical intervention and offer natural pain-coping tools. Our outdoor grounds and common areas are absolutely stunning and can be enjoyed during labour in warmer weather.
The Lucina Family Support Fund
Our mission as a non-profit is to be accessible to everyone. Through donations from people like you and fundraising efforts, we strive to offer fee subsidy to families facing systematic and financial barriers (people of colour, Indigenous birthers, LGBTQ+). Donate here.
Private birth suites are equipped with:
- Birth tub & large shower
- Birthstools, exercise balls, peanut ball, donut balls
- Birth sling/swing (long piece of fabric anchored to the ceiling)
- Dimmable lighting
- Climate control (fans & air conditioning)
- Laughing gas (nitrous oxide/gas & air/entonox gas)
- TENS machine
Peace of mind:
- Emergency medical supplies in each room.
- 5 minutes from Misericordia Hospital in case an emergency transfer is necessary. (Please note that transfer location may be determined by your midwife’s hospital privilege status and/or EMS dispatch.)
Leave the set up and clean up to the Lucina Birth Centre:
We provide all linens and supplies necessary and will send you home with some essentials for postpartum.
Our medical and emergency supplies are ordered from AHS and rooms are fully stocked for each birth.
Delicious postpartum meal:
We provide you with a nourishing meal after baby has arrived. The meal includes: pumpkin-spiced waffles, fruit and yogurt parfait with granola, juice/coffee/tea. We can accommodate most diets.
Flexible payment plans:
Lucina Birth Centre serves the Edmonton community and is a non-profit organization. For many people, fees may be covered by extended health care benefit plans as a “private hospital room” and through wellness/health spending accounts. Your fee can also be claimed as a medical expense on your income tax.